1. Install Languages
2. Go to Extensions > Languages > Installed
3. Check Extensions > Languages > Content Languages (Under the Heading Home it should say Yes) If not...
4. Create each Language Menu e.g. English Language, French Language, German Language
5. Associate each Menu with their respective Language and set the Default Page to Yes.
6. Select each Home page to the same content or component e.g JomSocial
7. Make sure the two Language plugins are enabled : Language Code and Language Filter
8. Make sure that Extensions >language(s) > Language content - that each language is published.
8. Create the Language Switcher Module. The flags should appear.
9, If the Flags do not appear make sure you have step 3. showing Home saying Yes. If not go to step 6.